Gold

Gold Education

For years gold has been known to be the most precious of all metals. The desire to own gold dates back to the history of mankind. Gold in its pure form is very soft. Yellow gold is used for various utility functions like- electronic appliances, dentistry, medical and chemical fields while its association with jewelry

Purity

Gold is measured in terms of karats and is denoted by K. The karat weight informs us the amount of gold present in the metal alloy. 24K gold is 100% pure with no added alloys. The following chart will help you ascertain the percentage of gold, referring to different karat weights: –

  • 24 karat = 100% gold
  • 22 karat = 91.7% gold
  • 18 karat = 75.0% gold
  • 14 karat = 58.3% gold
  • 12 karat = 50.0% gold
  • 10 karat = 41.7% gold

Note: Starfire diamond jewellery specializes in 18 karat yellow, white and rose gold. 18 karat gold jewellery provides good balance between durability and purity. 18 karats are equal to 75% gold content with the other 25% consisting of metals such as zinc, copper, nickel etc. these additional metals in 18k gold serve to make the alloy harder and more durable than pure gold (24k) which is too soft for jewellery. 

Colour

Gold in its pure form is yellow in colour. It is mixed with other metallic elements to form alloys which give gold its strength and durability. The alloying of gold is likely to alter the colour producing various hues and shades. Gold alloys occur in shades of yellow, white, pink, green, blue and grey. These colours of gold are determined by two main factors- The combination of elements within each metal and the percentage of each element within the metal.

pastedGraphic.png

Yellow Gold

Even though gold is yellow when pure, the intensity of yellow colour depends on volume of other metals alloyed with it. The more the karat weight, more intense is the colour.

pastedGraphic_1.png

Rose Gold

Rose or Pink Gold is another popular coloured gold used in jewellery. The pinkish hue of gold can be owed to a larger proportion of copper in the gold alloy, making it more durable simultaneously.

pastedGraphic_2.png

White Gold

The term “White Gold” refers to alloys of gold which is white in colour. Unlike yellow gold, a 24K white gold can never exist as the white colour of gold is obtained by mixing other elements. To make it shimmering white, gold is plated with Rhodium and this process is called Rhodium Flashing. Depending on the wear, this rhodium plating may fade, revealing the original colour of the metal. Re-plating can be done to restore the white sheen.